Tewkesbury Nature Reserve (TNR) resides on a 44-hectare floodplain containing a combination of wetland, river and grassland habitats which provide a safe haven for both wildlife and the local community to thrive. Famous wild residents at the Reserve include our heron, otters, kingfisher, reed warblers, and a variety of other bird, fish, dragonfly, butterfly and invertebrate species!
TNR is located close to the historic centre of Tewkesbury and occupies land to the southeast of Tewkesbury and is bordered by the A38 Tewkesbury bypass and Wheatpieces residential estates to the south and east; the A438 from M5 Junction 9 to Tewkesbury town centre to the north; and the Stonehills and Priors Park residential estates to the west. Directions to our car park can be found on Google Maps by entering ‘Tewkesbury Nature Reserve Car Park’.
TNR was officially founded as a Nature Reserve in 2011 having first been suggested as an idea at a Severn and Avon Flood Group Meeting in September 2008. Historically, the site was mostly used for agriculture and then more recently for recreation. A significant use of the land was during the Battle of Tewkesbury (1471), with the south-west fields lying within the registered area!